Thursday, November 23, 2006

Orange muffins

These went so quickly I only have a half-eaten one to show you! The recipe is from a fellow Damsel, who being Kiwi, bakes using measuring cups so I finally relented and bought some. I was very dubious at first about processing a whole orange. It didn't seem quite 'right' somehow, whizzing up the bit you aren't meant to eat. I changed my mind though when I tried some made by the lady herself (who is a fab hostess btw) I think they would also taste great with cranberries, I'll try that next time.

Orange muffins

Makes 12

1 whole orange
1/2 C orange juice (more if you're not using butter)
1 egg
1/2 C chopped dates or sultanas
125g melted butter (optional)
1/2 C wholemeal flour
1 t baking powder
1 C plain flour
1 t baking soda
3/4 C sugar

Cut orange into pieces and remove pips. Place in a food processor with the juice, blend until finely chopped. Drop in the egg, fruit and butter and blend briefly.

Sift dry ingredients into a bowl, add sugar and pour over orange mixture. Stir till just combined, spoon into greased muffin tins.
Bake at 190/Gas 5 for 15 - 20 mins

No comments: