Monday, February 05, 2007

White Chocolate and Cranberry Brownies

Apologies about the break in cakey updates again, I'll try and get back up to speed as soon as I can. I have been trying to sort out the house which has involved a lot of furniture shifting. I've also repeated a lot of recipes as I've been lacking in imagination and had demands for cake to meet. The lemon poppyseed loaf and the jaffa loaf have been done again a couple of times. I think they will become part of my permanent recipe collection. I keep all my recipes from online in a file. If they work they get to stay and if they don't they get chucked on the recycling pile as punishment for wasting my time! Saves me being overrun with too many bits of paper.

Anyhow, this recipe is an adapted version of one I copied and pasted from a forum ages ago. I wanted to make a white choc brownie for Mr Freak-of-Nature after trying this one, minus the chillis! It was more like a sponge traybake than sticky like a brownie. Still very nice though. It was the sheer amount of white chocolate buttons my children were given for Christmas that spurred me into trying again. Seriously, they would still be eating them at Easter as I am a mean mummy and only allow them a few at a time. The original recipe calls for 150g skinned hazelnuts. I looked at the ones in the supermarket and could only find ones with skins on and I have no idea how to de-skinnify them so I grabbed a bag of cranberries instead. If you know the secret of bald nuts let me know!

White Chocolate Brownies

125g white chocolate
100g unsalted butter
285g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
85g dried cranberries
225g white chocolate chunks or buttons
175g strong plain flour

  • Preheat oven to Gas 5/190c fan
  • Line a tin approx 20cm x 24cm with aluminium foil and grease lightly or use baking paper to line.
  • Melt chocolate and butter in a pan. This may look really separated and curdled but don't worry it will be fine once the flour is added.
  • Remove from heat and add sugar- stir until well mixed. Take time to do this stage or the sugar will not all dissolve in cooking and the brownies may be gritty.
  • Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla, cranberries and chocolate chunks.
  • Stir in flour thoroughly and pour into prepared tin.
  • Bake for 30 minutes in the centre of the oven.
  • A skewer inserted into the centre of the tray should come out slightly sticky- don't keep cooking till the skewer is clean as in other cake recipes or your brownies will overcook and be dry.
  • Remove from the oven and place on a rack. Allow to cool completely. Remove from tin, peel off foil, cut into squares and dust with icing sugar

2 comments:

Moi said...

Arn't the skinned nuts normally with the baking ingredients, like where the almonds are etc? I am sure I have seen hazlenuts there before - but will check tomorrow!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.