Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Gingerbread Men

I got this very lovely gingerbread cutter in the summer, it's cool. It has pokey bits inside to put on the face and buttons - great for non artistic people like me. I used to have a nice G-Man recipe from Tate & Lyle but I lost it when the website changed. I've also tried the Delia one, it is good but every time I have tried it I accidentally use dark brown sugar instead of light brown, I must have some sort of mental block as I only realise when it's too late. It comes out more of a German style like Speculaas, nice for Christmas.

I found this one on Handbag. It makes a really easy to handle, non-sticky dough that doesn't spread when it's baking and make everything look like weird blobs. I never use currants, burnt dried fruit has got to be one of the nastiest tastes ever!! I think it works best with half ginger half cinnamon.

Gingerbread Men

Makes 12

350g (12oz) plain white flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger

110g (4oz) butter or block margarine
175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
1 egg, beaten

4 tbsp golden syrup
currants, to decorate

  • Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl. Run in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
  • In another bowl, beat the syrup and egg together.
  • Pour the syrup mixture into the well and mix to a fairly firm dough; knead until smooth.
  • Divide in half and roll out, one half at a time, on a lightly floured surface to a 5mm thickness. Using a gingerbread man cutter, cut out figures and place them on a lightly greased baking sheets.
  • Add currants to represent eyes and buttons. Bake at 190C/375F/Mark 5 for 12-15 minutes, until golden.
  • Leave on the baking sheets for 1 minute, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.

5 comments:

Moi said...

I want your gingerbread cutter! Where did you get it?

Claire said...

I got it from a local cookshop Jo. I've done a quick Google and they are on the John Lewis site but showing out of stock. If you would like me to get you one next time I'm passing the shop let me know!

Moi said...

Yes please!! If you ever see them again, grab me one!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just love your blog!
I finally managed to find a cutter like yours, from Lakeland. Hoorah! Followed your recipe, but mine just spread and ended up as a big splodge. :-(

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Claire said...

Hi there. It took me a while to figure it out but it turns out that the recipe in my book in the kitchen and this one are slightly different. I have no idea how it happened, my apologies! If you use half the amount of butter they will stay in shape although be a bit crunchier.