Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Marmalade Sponge Traybake

I made this as a midweek lunchbox filler as I had bought a huge jar of marmalade for £1 and even I can't eat that much (all right, I can but lets keep that between us, ok?) Despite that and the orange juice it doesn't actually taste that orangey. I was going to put a syrup topping on but lost interest when the middle collapsed as I tried to get it out of the tin too early, so totally my fault! The recipe is from Gorgeous Cakes (again!) and is the base for the Heart of Gold cake.

Marmalade Sponge Traybake

180g unsalted butter, diced
180g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
5 tbsp orange juice
250g self raising flour
100g marmalade

  • Preheat oven to 160 fan/Gas mark 4/180c and grease a 23cm round or similar sized rectangular tin.
  • Cream the butter and sugar together until pale, then incorporate the eggs and juice. Don't worry if the mix appears curdled. Stir in the flour and then the marmalade.
  • Pour into tin and smooth the surface and bake for 50 minutes until skewer comes out clean.
  • Leave to cool in the tin then cut into squares.



No comments: