Anyhow, back to the interesting stuff. I had a big tube of special edition pink Smarties in the cupboard left over from Christmas and thought they would fit in nicely for a Valentine baking session. Boy wanted to help as he is off on school holidays at the moment and very bored, but his food hygiene knowledge leaves a lot to be desired. I ended up telling him off and sending him to watch a DVD instead after he tried licking flour off the worktop (and no, he didn't learn that from me, and who would want to eat flour???)
I have a new book that I got this recipe from, it has quite a few interesting things I look forward to trying out. The cookie recipe is from there but I changed it slightly to have a mix of soft brown sugar and caster sugar as the brown sugar alone can be a bit overpowering. I also have a new and very lovely pink spatula. See, I'm easily pleased.
115g/4oz unsalted butter, softened
50g/2oz caster sugar
50g/2oz light brown soft sugar
1tbsp golden syrup
0.5tsp vanilla essence
175g/6oz self raising flour
85g/3oz Smarties (sugar coated chocolate beans)
- Preheat oven to 180c/Gas 4. Grease 2 baking sheets, or do them in two batches
- Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy then beat in the vanilla and golden syrup
- Sift in half the flour and work in with a wooden spoon. Add the Smarties and the remaining flour and work into a dough.
- Roll into 16 balls and place spaced apart on the sheets allowing room for them to spread. Do not flatten.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden. For soft cookies be sure to remove them while the centres are still bubbling and pale. Leave them on the tray to firm up for 2-3 minutes then carefully remove them to a cooling rack.